Do I need to have an Alberta driver's license to get auto insurance?

No, but having a valid license from another province or country and/or international license is usually sufficient. Even a learners license or Class 7 is eligible for insurance coverage but does include some restrictions. A broker can give you additional information regarding your licensing.

Information Provided by

Why do I need "Full Coverage" on my vehicle?

The newer the vehicle, the more expensive it is to fix. Unless you're driving an older vehicle that does not have much value, you want to carry full coverage. This ensures that your vehicle will be repaired, and right away, whether the fault lies with you or not.

Information Provided by

What do these insurance coverage terms mean?

Liability: Liability coverage protects the policy holder and pays up the the policy limit for the driver and any passengers in the insured vehicle, as well as injuries and property damage to other vehicles or passengers directly involved.

Collision: Collision coverage repairs your vehicle in the case of an at-fault claim. If you back up into a pole, or if you're involved in a single car accident without collision coverage, you will be paying for any repairs out of pocket.

Comprehensive: Comprehensive coverage is the no-fault coverage, and applies to risks that are deemed out of control, or an "act of god." This coverage includes hail or wind damage, theft of the vehicle, vandalism collision with an animal, etc.

Information Provided by

What are my insurance payment options?

The payment options will vary depending on the insurance carrier. There are options for credit card and 1,2, or 3 pay plans, but the most popular and convenient option is the monthly automatic withdrawal. This can easily be arranged with a copy of your "void" check or direct-debit form on the monthly withdrawal date of your choice.

Information Provided by

Can my boy/girlfriend or friends drive my car?

Yes, with your permission only, but keep in mind that lending your vehicle also means you're lending your vehicle's insurance coverage. Any accidents or claims that occur during this time will be permanent on your insurance history and may negatively affect your future rates.

Information Provided by